Can you give me 2% of your day to make a huge impact on your life and business? I think you can.
In my life today I thoroughly love keynoting to companies and working with executives on their work/life performance. There is no question that Steve Jobs was correct in saying that connecting the dots backward gives you a clear passage forward; the past can represent the future if used wisely. Connecting my dots backward into my role as a peak performance consultant on the PGA Tour has perfectly positioned me to share these experiences with business clients who not only have to perform but also have to be able to create, lead and manage at the same time. In this respect, creating, managing and leading is no different than the process a world class golfer must follow to be number one on any given week.
There have been many times over the years when I have had to discipline and narrow the focus of athletes to make sure that the days activity is not left to the gods or some twist of luck. To perform well and know why you are performing well requires some sort of design process around your daily activity. These were athletes with one seminal skill – hitting a golf ball. They were not the best time or energy managers on the planet!
Let me share an effective way to start your day that will guarantee you put your best foot forward. It is just one of the disciplines I used with the players. I call it the 2% Law.
2% of your day is 28 minutes. You WOULD NOT believe what you can do in 28 minutes, but for a start let me give you one basic idea. What if you could use that 2% to determine the other 98%? That would be a great return on investment, don’t you think?
It seems that most of us, even some of the most productive CEOs I mentor, slide out of bed and play the same old CD in our heads every morning. I do not want you to be like this so I am going to create a new ritual I want you to follow through on religiously. I want you to use this 28 minutes to decide: What will my story be today?’
This simple question removes all the guesswork from your day and puts you into a purposeful state of mind. If you have a tough day ahead, you can make your mind up to remain calm. If you have a long travel day, you can use the 2% to figure out what you’ll need to keep hydrated and rested. If you have management meetings, you can prepare your message and method of delivery in a more detailed and defined way.
Making this key decision before the day even gets going ensures that you don’t blunder your way though just another day at the office.
You have free will – But you don’t have free time.
Use the 2% Law wisely and every day will proceed through deliberate design and not through blind luck.
Have a great week.
Nick R. Bradley